And Now for Something a Little Different

Hello, again, after quite some time, or, more likely, hello and welcome, newcomer! Don't worry, you haven't missed anything. (Actually, I can't promise that; I don't know your life. You may have missed quite a lot. But as far as this blog goes, the posts aren't related one to the next and -lucky you!- this is the first one back after a long hiatus! Also, all the old posts are still down there.)

Things have changed around here, including the 'here' itself since the last time I wrote, almost two and a half years ago. I started working part-time at the local library, which I love; we moved, which has its ups and downs, but mostly ups; we did some renovations to the kitchen that made it a thousand times better; and the sweet little puppy we were raising is a sweet enormous 90-pound fluffball now.

One thing that hasn't changed: my love of baking tasty things from scratch! So I'm back (unfortunately, not from outer space), baking again, but I'm going to be doing things a little differently from time to time(but not too differently).

You see, two of the other things that have not so much changed but let's say developed, are these: I have become a great believer in King Arthur Flour. They have marvelous products and recipes (and nobody pays me anything for anything I say here), and they feature a monthly Bake Along on their website with a step-by-step tutorial and plenty of pictures. And then people make that recipe for themselves and share their own photos online with the #bakealong hashtag. It's great fun, like a party where you get to bake but don't have to really talk to or be around other people. An introvert's dream come true!

The other development is that, about a year ago (which, I know, is still unfashionably late to the party), and after recommendation from several different people who were shocked that I hadn't seen it yet, I finally broke down and watched The Great British Baking Show on Netflix (and then on PBS when I was all caught up). And, just like the people who recommended it to me, I was almost scandalized with myself for not having watched it earlier. As an amateur baker and an Anglophile, the only thing keeping me from it was the label "reality television" (which, in my defense, is a more than sufficient excuse, because 97% of reality television is a pile of burning garbage). But after watching one episode, I was in love. Everyone was so kind to one another! The typical back-biting and sabotage of reality television were nowhere to be seen! They were replaced with innuendos and pastel KitchenAid stand mixers, two of my favorite things!

So that brings us all up to speed on the things that will be different around here (just from time to time). I'll probably be featuring my BakeAlong attempts, and while I will reproduce the recipes here for your convenience, I will also link them back to KAF, and I encourage you to poke around on their website as well.

I also want to try my hand at some of the recipes (particularly the technical challenges) that they feature on Great British Baking Show (which, to help keep things orderly on the internet, I will often refer to with the initials GBBO). But, as many American bakers have pointed out, "the ingredients have strange names and weird measurements!" so I'm going to attempt to translate them (that is, Americanize them) and give them a try. These posts are far more likely to feature my own disastrous fails, but you can laugh along with me when I fail, which I will inevitably do, because a lot of them feature techniques I have never tried before.

So, no baking today, but I'm already working on the next recipe, one of these translations (Americanizations, possibly a bastardization?),  and a late BakeAlong as well, and --fingers crossed-- I hope to get them both to you in the next couple of weeks!

Happy Baking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GBBO Translation: Mary Berry's Tiramisu Cake

GBBO Translation: Mary Berry's Fraisier Cake

Grandma's Apple Brown Betty (Apple Crumble?) and a Year-End Review